Blepharitis is inflammation of the eyelids. The eyelids can be red and swollen, and the lid margins are usually encrusted with purulent (mucky) discharge.
The eyelids are often itchy, so the dog will paw at the eyes. Excessive blinking and sensitivity to light may also be evident.
Blepharitis is nearly always accompanied by conjunctivitis.
Causes of blepharitis
1. Puppy impetigo - bacterial infections
2. Hypersensitivity to body's own bacteria
3. Solar irritation
4. Allergies to drugs, soaps, shampoo, food, etc.
5. Insect bites 6. Chemical burns
7. Parasite infections (mites) or fungal infection
8. Immune-mediated diseases
9. Nutritional imbalances, eg. zinc deficiency
10. Endocrine abnormalities, eg. hypothyroidism